The name is an anglicized form of the Welsh male name Iefan, which is the Welsh form of John.
Evan can also be a Breton form of John.
It is one of the most popular male names in the Anglophone world and elsewhere as well. It is currently the 14th most popular male name in French-speaking, Switzerland (2010). His rankings in other countries are as follows:
- # 22 (Canada, BC, 2010)
- # 25 (France, 2009)
- # 27 (Ireland, 2010)
- # 34 (Italian-speaking, Switzerland, 2010)
- # 36 (United States, 2010)
- # 73 (Scotland, 2010)
- # 76 (England/Wales, 2010)
- # 79 (Northern Ireland, 2010)
- # 276 (Netherlands, 2010)